Saturday, July 19, 2008

My Trekking Experience


Wow! The trek was such a great experience. There was a good turnout this year. When we first arrived to our unloading destination, we were set aside into families. I wasn't really put in with anybody I got along with but we grew on each other and we ended up being a true family.
The First day, we walked about 4 miles. It was a little difficult just because we were learning and getting used to the handcarts. We would walk, then stop, then walk, then stop. Many of us needed breaks! haha We stopped to eat lunch and we were taught some fun games. I was glad to have my friends there; Kelsie, Kinzie, Chevia, Kurtis and I pretty much hung out the entire trip. We started off again and finally arrived to our camp for the night. Each family set up their area with their tarp tents and bedding. After, we cooked dinner, ate, and I was off again to play with my friends. All of us headed down to the "crick" not "creek". haha Kinzie and I ended up getting wet! and we had to say the prayers that night. We played games, danced, and listened to music. It started getting cold and late so we headed to bed. I was tired and sore, but in the end, the first day was great!
The Second day was a bit more difficult. haha we walked somewhere around 7 and a half miles and most of it was up hill! It began to rain that day and nothin fun really happened until we reached our next camp for the night.
When we reached camp, the same schedule happened: set up camp, cook, eat, play. The first night, each family was assigned to make up a song for the "battle of the bands" held on the second night. I immediately started writing our song to the tune Beat It: by Michael Jackson. A classic! I know. haha It sounded good until we came to preform. I messed up terribly and it came out all wrong, but thats okay cuz we had fun! That night, we danced....ALOT! I had a great time dancing cowboy style! haha Afterwards, we had Testimony Meeting. I'm glad to have Kelsie cuz she talked me into bearing my testimony and I'm really glad I bore it. I kinda waited til the last and then I spoke. I had no idea it'd be such a spiritual experience for me. I ended up getting emotional and crying a bit, but I'm glad I did it. The night was coming to a close so we each headed to bed. I wasn't all that tired and so I sang. haha O it was fun! One lady in my family told me songs to sing and I'd do my best-she sayed I was pretty good :)
The Last and Final Day: Mostly everyone was excited to get back home to a comfy bed and warm shower and thats all I heard all day! Including coming from me! We woke up early this morning and headed off to a morning devotional. It was such a spiritual time. The sun was just coming up and we were surrounded by nature. Silence!
We picked up camp and breakfast and we were off again onto our last day of trekking! Most of the last day was downhill and very easy to pull the cart. I ended up picking a whole bunch of flowers along the way! We stopped for a snack and a rest. The youth leaders prepared a game for the rest of us: Flour Wars! Little nylon sacks were filled with flour and we threw them at each other! It was great fun but very messy! I didn't care because less then 3 hours from then, I'd be home and showered. :)

The day got hotter and we pulled faster and faster-trying to reach our destination. Finally, we saw ahead the pick-up trucks and we made a dramatic entrance to the finish! We ate, drank, and became merry! haha Mostly because we were going home though!
This experience was such a great one because we learned and grew and our testimonies were strengthened-or atleast mine was! I'd never give up those hard moments for anything because I gained so much from them!

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Taylor my new blog is
shaylienan.blogspot.com